Monday, May 25, 2009

E-book handicap?

I recently bought a fitness e-book, enjoyed reading it on my BlackBerry Fictionwise e-reader on the way to and from work, and then moved on to finishing the print book that I was simultaneously carrying around with me. I've limited most of my e-reading to non-fiction as of yet, and didn't think anything of it until I had a conversation with my mom.

My mom, unlike myself, enjoys cooking and trying out new recipes. Since she's only into healthy cooking, the recipes in the fitness book would have been ideal for her...but I had nothing to share with her, given that it was an e-book. As a publishing professional, I understand that we want to make sharing harder, but what if I wanted to try out some of those recipes? Should I have my expensive device sitting in my kitchen while I mix and match ingredients? And what if it wasn't recipes per se, but some other interactive book that required the reader to take a quiz? How can we do this with an e-book?

I came up with two options: the publisher should either allow certain pages--i.e., those with the recipes or the quizes--to be e-mailable, or have that information available for print/download from a companion website.

Any other ideas on how to get around this e-book handicap?


No comments: