Monday, August 8, 2011

Another Interpretation of Enhanced E-Books

I've been reading about and listening to a lot of web casts on enhanced e-books, thanks to Digital Book World's E2BU (their Enhanced E-book University) and a somewhat whimsical idea came to me.

I know that some people love the feel and smell of books and would hate to lose that. I also know that some luxury publishers, like my last employer, actually use really expensive materials for their covers and even sometimes add scents to those covers to enhance the experience of the book...So if enhanced e-books are meant to capture all our senses--audio for auditory and video for visual--is there room for olfactory? The tactile is already being addressed with fancy e-book covers (I like the easel variety) but is there a way to build in scents, perhaps even several to choose from into those e-book covers?

Just an idea....Thoughts?

No comments: